Friday, November 17, 2006

I seriously have problems hitting spells that require you to target an area. Played a pub with Slayer and couldn't hit a damn light strike array. I think I'm the only person who can miss an Infernal.

Musica decided that he wanted to try the other side of things, and set off to 1v1 Tofu's Viper with his Warlock, before proceeding to get pwned pretty badly. Actually, he got pwned VERY badly, nothing pretty about it.

In my run against Tofu's viper as Warlock, the spectators promptly declared the game over after Tofu brought me down, even when he had the disadvantage of one level and had to be sent home. This was, unfortunately, not before I had missed infernal twice, landing me short of two important kills. I can't seem to hit infernal properly on my teammates t_t.

An ideal infernal will land you the full duration of immolation, and 3 whacks from the infernal on the enemy hero. My infernals didn't even strike within immolation range and only could get one whack on the viper. I blame grogginess from just waking up, and my inability to hit any AoE spell properly. Lux also said my thinking for Warlock could be better, which I take to mean I should change playstyle, but I wouldn't know. It's about as useful as telling me that I can cure cancer. I won't dispute it, I've found it's safer to always assume that Lux is correct, but I did forget to ask for clarification on the comment.

I do not blame the imbalance of the matchup! Warlock still can win Viper when played properly (unfortunately I haven't been doing so lately). IN YOUR FACE MUSICA.

Speaking of which, Musica is actually scarier to 1v1 than Tofu. Distance estimation and his ability to simply screw up whatever plan you have in mind to take him out and attack you in the worst possible way. Tofu however, remains the better farmer with better last hitting.

Not many other notable games of DotA. Did play one against the Malaysian team where my team got wiped. I'm kinda proud that I maintained my spotless record though, and got Radiance BoT Midas around the 40 minute mark, while my team was ceremoniously being pwned in all three lanes AND the neutral creep spots too. Of course, no matter how much I farm, nothing can be done against a team that's fed to the point where the warlock gets Aegis-Rapier Refresher around the 50th minute.

More teams are using enchantress and copying my builds! I don't know whether to be proud or annoyed.

A rather uneventful day for DotA anyway. Looking forward to the weekend for GXL matches against dN* and the Corleones (why the name change from RP anyway). Oh, and why does dN* have an asterisk at the end?

I did however, play a rather eventful game of CS. I play it on average once every two months, for reasons that elude me at this present moment.

Map was dust2, we (meaning Tofu, Floor, KW, JB and me) started on CT side, and get off to the worst start ever by being CLEARED 5-0 by someone I'm led to believe was Alan. I mean that as in he had 4 teammates down, we had about 3 men alive, and he proceeded to clear all of us, netting him the amazing 5-0 first round record (even more amazing because his 4 other teammates were down 0-1).

We proceed to actually manage to kill all 5 of them in the following rounds where we Eco, but fail to defuse. In fact, almost half of the rounds we lost involved all five terrorists dead, mostly courtesy of KW and mostly nothing to do with me, a bomb planted, and no one with a diffusal kit close enough to defuse it. We ended the round losing with a depressing 2-13.

Wow. That's a lot of rounds we have to win as T.

Courtesy of KW and Tofu commanding (more KW, less Tofu, though Tofu's probably a better CS player than he was the last time I played with him), we proceed to sweep 10 straight rounds. On the 11th round, we're met with a little problem. A very cleverly hidden emplacement of defending CTs leave 4 of us dead, 5 of them very much alive, and KW just around the corner with an AK.

Never fretting, KW proceeds to slowly round the corner and gun 2 unsuspecting CTs down. Continuing round, a 3rd CT returns fire too slowly and takes one to the head. The 4th CT rushes in to try to catch KW unawares but runs right into the path of gunfire and gets a bullet to the head as well.

Unfortunately, it is at this moment that KW, probably out of ammo or something, rushes forward towards the gun of a fallen CT. He is mercilessly gunned down from the back by the 5th camping CT.

One round lost, only one round more to tip the scales back in their favour.

Around round 13 (I can't remember the exact round), another problem surfaces. A well-placed AWP takes down two solo wanderers, and a third wanderer is picked off shortly after. This leaves Tofu and Me still patrolling the base, with the bomb, against 5 full HP fully equipped CTs.

At this point I'm thinking that we're pretty much screwed. Nevertheless, we count on the impatience of the CTs to take that crucial last round and hunt down two measely Ts, and sneak through the catwalk into a COMPLETELY EMPTY outer bombsite.

With 10 seconds left, the bomb goes down. Hoo boy, now comes the hard part.

The moment that bomb drops, I hear gunfire and get flashed. Not by Tofu, he's actually improved enough to not flash his own teammates most of the time. So the CTs are already on to us.

In a heroic moment, Tofu leaps through the gunfire, taking down one CT, buying me time to round the 90 degree turn and plant myself at the spot overlooking the underpass. Hiding at the perfect moment and baiting gunfire, Tofu gives me time to finish off the other CT firing at him. A CT rushes out, intent on gunning Tofu down as well, but promptly turns around as he sees his friend falling, but does not do so in time to save himself.

A few seconds later, I hear a set of footsteps, but I can't pinpoint the direction. A CT appears from the underpass, fully aware of my position, guns blazing. A lucky bullet catches him and he falls.

At that moment, I realise too late that I am still taking damage. Merv guns me down from behind.

Over the ticking bomb, against someone with a Colt, full HP, and a diffusal kit, the entire round rests on Tofu and his 19 HP. In a rambo-like moment, he weaves in and out of cover, finally getting trapped in the corner, waiting to be sweeped out. He peeks out valiantly again, just to lay a few shots to deter his enemy. It saves him a few precious seconds, but he gets sweeped out, no chance at all.

The diffusal kit is furiously at work for what seems like eternity, and the bomb blows.

The next two rounds are taken rather confidently, what with the CTs probably being demoralised and KW's very commendable aim. We win 14-1, coming back from a 2-13 disadvantage.

It doesn't feel as good as winning that REALLY close DotA game I reported about previously, but the process is more exciting. From dismay to hope to that round where you've worked so hard for that would decide everything. Very memorable game of CS, for someone who plays once every two months anyway.

It's those moments where you snatch victory from the brink of defeat that feel the best. I don't desire any of those in tournaments though. Close wins feel good, but total pwnage feels better.

I don't expect to be playing CS for a good few weeks or months more. Between FF7, Zelda, FFTA, DotA, Piano, Programming, and holiday homework, the last of which I included merely as a formality to remind myself, I don't think I want to be playing CS frequently.

No comments: